Sunday, December 11, 2011

So Much to Learn.

I find my self being quizzed about how to solve the various small problems of farming, and I am surprisingly good at giving very convincing answers to these questions. But I want to admit to a degree of hesitance about thinking that I have 'everything in order before I being.' I have witnessed many farm techniques enough to know that the solutions are out there, and they work. But to make the farm requires coming up with techniques for the exact circumstances of that particular, yet unknown place. So it is important to remember that I will be flying my the seat of my pants for a few years on the farm, and needing help who have more experience in particular skills. Going to other farms and learning can only ever go so far.

To reach the level of mastery sought I will need to do types of trial and error that I have no right to do on anybody else's land but my own. So I am not worried about getting everything in order before I begin, instead I want to have a more relaxed pace for the first year, during which time the sufficient basics to go on can be learned. This requires resources to support the project at the beginning. The resources available to the project right now are enough if we are lucky enough to get a good land deal.

Conversations with people traveling off the west coast suggest to me that if we go around to a few desirable properties willing to put decent cash on the table, even if the land is going for a much higher price or not at all for sale, and willing to do it right quick (let's assume we have already inspected the land and deemed it suitable) alot of people will be willing to listen, and maybe for a bit under the expected price. If this money can be saved, the relaxed pace of the first year can be afforded. Also there have been a couple of people who have implied that they might be able to offer some small aid, always in a casual conversation and I understand the offers as very hypothetical, and any small aid would go a very long way in helping us afford the farming education we need, the time to figure stuff out thinking with our hands. So if you are able to contribute information, equipment, money, books, labor, or any other kind of support; do.

No comments:

Post a Comment